PROFILE OF A SOUS CHEF FOR La Petite Ferme
Position Title: Executive Sous Chef
Reports To: Head Chef
We are looking for a professional Sous Chef to be the second in command in our kitchen, assisting our Head Chef’s specifications and guidelines.
The Executive Sous Chef is responsible to assist the head chef for overall kitchen operation as a successful independent profit centre, ensuring maximum guest satisfaction, through planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the Kitchen operation and administration.
Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while assisting in leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Also assists in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced.
This position is responsible for the daily preparation for both lunch and dinner a la carte menus, in conjunction with the Head Chef. The candidate must be creative and continually research and test new dishes to ensure that members have an exceptional dining experience.
Key Performance Areas:
- Help in the preperation and design of all food menus
- Produce high quality plates both design and taste wise
- Fill in for the Head Chef in planning and directing food preparation when necessary
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and guests
- To be aware of all financial budgets and goals.
- Ensure that all recipes and product yields are accurately costed and reviewed regularly.
- Ensure that all food items are prepared as per standard recipe cards whilst maintaining portion control and minimizing waste.
- Ensure that associate meals and associate dining services are of a consistently high standard.
- Ensure that a consistent first class product of the highest quality is achieved and maintained in all culinary areas, whilst adhering to operational deadlines.
- To project a positive and motivated attitude amongst all associates.
- To frequently verify that only the highest quality products are used in food preparation.
- Ensure that the overall culinary department is motivated and that positive feedback on work performance is given.
- To ensure that guests are always receiving an exceptional dining experience.
- To spend time in the restaurant to ensure that the operation is managed well by the outlet/front of house team.Liaise with Front of House daily with regards to bookings, expected guests and group/function requirements
- Maintain brand reputation ,Ethos and Values of the company
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Able to make recommendations to the Executive Chef regarding succession planning.
- Ensure that food stock levels within the culinary department are of sufficient quantity and quality in relevance to the hotel occupancy and restaurant/functions forecasts.
- Ensure that chefs are always in clean tidy uniforms and are always presentable to be in guest view.
- Ensure that all food preparation equipment is being used safety and correctly and that it is cleaned and maintained.
- Ensure that all culinary operations manuals are prepared and updated.
- Ensure that the Department’s overall operational budgets are strictly adhered too.
- Ensure that the culinary department adheres to all company and hotel policies and procedures.
- Ensure that meetings are well planned, attended and results-orientated.
- Creative menu planning and correct food preparation with the restaurant's guidelines and vision in mind
- To work in close conjunction with the Restaurant Manager and respective teams, to create a yearly marketing Plan for the food outlet.
- Ensure that all relevant banquet set-ups are prepared ahead of guest’s arrival and in adherence with hotel standards.
- Be aware of new items, which are introduced onto the market and keep up with the lasted product trends.
- To fully understand the market needs and desires for the restaurant and ensure that the menus are developed to reflect those needs.
- To initiate relevant maintenance reports and work orders supported by the respective follow up of those items actioned.
- To manage associates fairly and take a personal interest in knowing all culinary associates.
- To Ensure that all food products received into the hotel are of the required standard and quality and that they are stored and rotated correctly.
- Responsible for the supervision of all stewards and their activities within the culinary department.
- Ensure that weekly work schedules and annual leave planners are administered and filed correctly.
- To delegate responsibilities to subordinates as required.
- Coach and counsel employees in a timely manner and in accordance with Company policy.
- To act as manager on duty for the hotel as scheduled.
- To recruit and select a suitable culinary team who are able to work within a decentralized management philosophy.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses and provide timely feedback to the individual.
- Build long term relationships with our guests, suppliers and staff
- Achieve company objectives in quality , appearance of facility , sanitation and cleanliness through training of employees and creating positive , productive working environment
- Ensure the correct and sufficient quantities of perishables and non- perishables available as seasonally required
- Fair and firm management abilities with high influencing skills.
- Strong administration skills.
- Creative and innovative.
- Strong knowledge of food and beverage.
- Hands-on approach to all operational aspects.
- Excellent communication skills and computer skills.
- Initiative and Self-motivated.
- Ideal training and coaching skills.
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS)
- Experience in stock control, including stock take and ordering
- Work with the head chef to produce diversified menus in accordance.
- Make sure the hygiene and food safety standards are met in all stages of food preparation, starting with the ingredients and ending with the finished dish which leaves the kitchen door
- Assisting with the purchasing and storage of food.
- Ensure smooth and timeous output from the kitchen during service hours.
- Ensure Kitchen and Food storage areas are kept in a clean and hygienic state.
- Ensure the proper storage of Food items.
- Keep accurate account of wastage , transfers and all administration.
- Experience in performance management, including poor performance
- Must be of sober habits
- Neat and presentable
- Being reliable and trustworthy
- Decision Maker
- Communicate well
- Always ready to help and assist
- Be very organised and methodical
- Ready for a new challenge in life and a long term involvement in his/her future job
- Age: between 25 to 32 years’ old ( not prerequisite )
- Being a native of South Africa
- Adequate market related salary, Negotiable based on experience.
- Performance Bonus as per Quality of work and Performance
- Provident fund company contribution.
Culinary diploma from a recognized institution or higher.
At least 7 years’ experience with 2 years in a senior management position.
To apply, please submit your CV before close of business 18 May 2019, copy of ID with contactable references if applicable and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org . Only successful applicants will be contacted.